We last visited Munich in May 2007 This time, in 2009, we started our exploration by walking to the Marienplatz which is the heart of the City of Munich. In the middle ages, the square used to be a marketplace as well as a site for tournaments and various festivities.
The Marienplatz is also know as St. Mary's Square and is one of the most famous places in Germany. From here, we walked over to the Residenz area. The Residenz, which is the former royal palace of the Bavarian Monarchs is currently a museum. Situated on the same square is the National Theatre which is an opera house and the home base of the Bavarian State Opera. The picture on the left is a picture of us standing in front of it.
The New Town Hall, in the picture to the left, or Neues Rathaus, is in fact, Munich's City Hall.
Although it looks like it has existed for several centuries, as noted above, it was only completed in the early 20th century. The Marienplatz area is an upscale shopping area and visited by many tourists.
We had seen the Marienplatz a couple years ago when we were in Germany but the flowers weren't in bloom then.
From here, it was a short walk to the Odeonsplatz. The Odeonsplatz is a large square boardered by the Felderrnhalle (Field Marshal's Hall), the Hofgarten, and the Theatinerkirche.
In the picture to the left, the arches of the Field Marshal's Hall can be seen as well as the towers of the church. Field Marshal's Hall is also called "The Feldeermhalle"
In 1816, Ludwig the 1st commissioned Leo von Klenze with the planning and completion of all the main buildings situated on Odeonsplatz. Field Marshall Hall sits at the southern end of Munich's Ludwigstrasse.
The Italianate neo-classical style of the first building, the Palsis Leuchtenberg, set the tone for the architecture.
The Odeonsplatz has always been an important site of parades and public events.
The beautiful Roman Catholic Theatinerkirche was built from 1663 to 1690. It was built in the Italian high-baroque style and designed by the Italian architecht Agostino Barelli.
The curch's exterior has a very impressive yellow facade. The interior of the church is decorated with rich stucco ornamentation. The rich stucco ornamentation gives the church a very light airy feeling because of the brilliant while color used.
During the Second World War, the church was bombed and the west wing of the monastery was destroyed. The alterpiece was also destroyed. In 1946, restoration began which was completed in 1955.
Heading north, away from the Odeonsplatz, on the Ludwigstrasse, we went for a walk towards the Bavarian National Library which is seen in the picture to the left.
The State Library is one of Europe's most important universal libraries. It has collections currently comprising over 9.8 million books. It's one of the best research libraries worldwide. It also has one of the most important collection of manuscripts in the world.
The legal depost law has been in force since 1663 which requires that two copies of every printed work published in Bavaria be submitted to the Library making it the 2nd largest Journals Library.
In the picture to the right, you can see the Square of the Victims of National Socialism which has an eternal flame to commemorate the victims.
Created by artist Andreas Sobeck, the monument to the victims of Nazism is a twenty-foot high, rectilinear stone column supporting a cubic bronze cage containing a gas-fueled eternal flame. Engraved on the surface of the stone are the words "To the victims of the National Socialistic Terror Regime".
The symbolism of the monument was clear. "The strictness, indeed the hardness of the forms recalls the incessant violence of the Nazi regime, while the flame recalls the humanity that opposes and overcomes opression."
In short, the monument suggests that the light of humanity survived despite having been imprisoned behind bars.
In the city of Munich, is the Promenadenplatz Square with it's aluminum sculpture of Maximilian Joseph Graf von Montgelas which can be seen in the picture to the left.
Maximilian von Montgelas was a Bavarian statesman, from a noble family. He worked in public service in the department of the censorship of books. He was associated with the Illuminati, a secret society in Bavaria that held to absolutely the most anti-clerical propositions of the enlightenment.
His statue was made by the artist Karin Sander, completed in 2005. Promenadenplatz square is the former salt market. It is a pleasant area to walk around.
We went for a walk and as we walked, we saw several building that had very interesting facades. Here is one of the more interesting ones. The one on the right is a picture of the Tourist Office.
In the pictures below, we're enjoying our dinner out and then a nice beer at the Hofbrauhaus.
We've been doing our web site for many years. Some technology comes and goes... Here are some links to flash slide shows that can be viewed on a PC but are no longer supported on iPhone or Android devices. Back when these slide shows were made, there was no way to add music... So for some silent slide shows...